Thursday, March 24, 2011
---
Yes, we talked about pests almost what felt like all day today. I forgot to mention that we began talking about pests yesterday. For some reason, it is not so fun talking about pests. Looking at slide after slide of little mealy worms and intense-looking winged insects, and what they do to fruit and trees is much like trying to use the internet to self-diagnose your own health issue. Before your eyes materializes a vortex of disturbing pictures that leave you feeling confused, very uncomfortable, and sort of helpless.
Looking at pictures of plants and fruits, and their potential pests, diseases and nutrient deficiencies was a little disorienting, but I wasn't so much left with a feeling of helplessness. For whatever thing that could go wrong, it seems like with the magic and knowledge of Horticulture, there is always something you can do about it. This talk today was our intro into beginning to learn what to do about potential problems for plants.
Apparently any type of plant has its own special type of aphid, moth, fly, borer, blight or burn. Fruit can get sunburned, did you know that? There are things that can affect the tree, the leaf, the fruit, the roots. Too much water can rot the roots. Not enough boron can interrupt flowering and fruiting. Nitrogen deficiencies affect old leaves, sulfur deficiencies affect new leaves. Sometimes you need to spray an element directly to the plant itself to help balances its imbalances and other times you treat the soil.
I forgot to mention slugs as a potential pests. How can they be pests if they are so cute and if some species have such beautiful and eccentric mating rituals? I don't know, but I guess they are. My grandmother has always been a lover of snails, and I must have gotten my love of the snail and slug from her.
![]() |
| A still I took from a Youtube video, from a BBC clip of Leopard Slugs Mating. |

No comments:
Post a Comment